Sunday, February 21, 2010

On being home.......

It's a balmy 50 degrees outside today with bright, blue skies. The sun felt warm on my face as I went about my chores. It is indeed a great day. Sunshine will do that, you know - make it a great day!
I've been running around a bit these last three days at a conference and although the conference and classes were wonderful, there's something to be said about just hanging out at home.
The hubsters spent part of the morning still clearing snow and ice from the driveway and making it wider. We now have a little breathing room if it should snow again. And, we have to make it wider for a special delivery that will be coming later this week - but more on that another time.
Today has been spent just doing some tidy work around here and mucking out the chicken coop. That was quite the job this time! We've had so much snow it was all we could do just to get back to them to feed and water. With the last few days being in the 40's, we've had a good bit of melt and some room to move around. So, the coop was emptied down to the bare floor, aired out, and then a fresh bed a straw was laid. Even though my arms were exhausted from carrying pitchfork after pitchfork of chicken bedding, the brief moment of satisfaction from getting it done and the sweet, sweet smell of the straw made every ache worth it. The chickens seem to appreciate it, too!
As I made my way back to the house from the coop, I turned around to take the view and to breathe the air. All I can say is - what a wonderful day for being home. Enjoy what's left of the weekend and take a moment to see the view and breathe the air. Sometimes it's all one needs to have a new outlook on the day.

4 comments:

  1. While I've always loved being at home, I enjoy it that much more now that we live in the country--You are right, there's nothing like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been outside all weekend, and enjoyed every minute of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I agree, being home, being outside in the sunshine is absolutely wonderful. My sunshine is here, but it is up above the rain clouds. I'm looking forwards to some sunny days.

    Wow! That is so great that you have a sewing studio!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We always appreciate home more when we have to leave it for a while, don't we!

    It sounds like you had a wonderful day and have some very contented hens ... you will be rewarded by their their appreciation I'm sure!

    Intrigued about your special delivery ....

    Jeanne x

    ReplyDelete