Monday, September 27, 2010

The gift of a precious resource.....

This photo and the one below are nothing extraordinary. They do show, however, the gift of rain we will be receiving over the next two days. We need rain.
Precipitation is something I don't take for granted. I think anyone who works with the land or grows their own food keeps a keen eye on the sky.
So, although this is a gloomy Monday, I couldn't be happier.


It's approaching garlic planting time here and I still need to do some soil ammendments before I even think of putting these lovelies in the ground.

I couldn't decide what type of garlic I wanted, so, I got a variety pack. I'll give a verdict next year as to which one I like best.

I still have all of my fall gardening chores to do - re: clean-up, etc. We're also hoping to have the time in the next month to get the greenhouse put together. October is shaping up to be a more relaxed month around the homestead and quite frankly, I'm glad. September was a bit of a zoo with activities outside of being home.

I'm just about done processing the pumpkins. Whew! What a job! I did change to steaming the pumpkin rather than baking it just because it is a lot faster! While a batch is steaming, I can cut up the next bunch plus get the meat off the last batch I just processed. I've got eleven pumpkins left, so, I'm figuring another two hours and they'll be done. I'll have plenty of pumpkin puree for myself and some to share with friends. I love when I can share my surplus with friends and family. It doesn't get any more local than this.

Well, I guess it's back to the ol' grindstone. Pumpkin puree won't pay the governer.... ;-)

7 comments:

  1. Rain when you haven't had any is the most wonderful thing. Rain when you've already had too much is not so lovely... We have had a very early start to our usual rainy, grey winter days - not in completely unbroken stretches, as it will be when winter really hits, but 3-4 days at a time before the sun comes out. Argh! Depressing! Frustrating because there's still so much clean-up to do outside, and the tail end of outdoor summer projects that need finishing. But it's good to get a reminder not to take all that water for granted - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toni- how many pumpkins did you get and what did you plant? just curious...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's raining here, too. Where did you get your garlic from? Mail order or a local coop?
    Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miriam - I can relate to the other end of the spectrum! Excluding this past Spring, we had four years of very wet weather. It delayed everything, but, I've learned that you can't do much about it, so there's no use stressing!

    Paula - these were "small sugar" from Seeds of Change. I had three hills for a total of 6 plants. I'd say I harvested around 50 or so pumpkins for processing.

    Linda - I purchased the garlic from the Maine Potato Lady. All organic. I couldn't find any local last year, so, I placed my order this Spring for a Fall delivery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Toni! I was so glad to see the rain too--I'm not complaining--Even the frogs are happy to have it--I counted 5 in our driveway this evening and 2 that went into the garage!

    But at least when it's raining you won't mind being inside with the pumpkins! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never done more than one pumpkin at a time. I can only imagine the work that goes into doing so many. We also enjoyed a nice steady rain to give the trees a drink.

    We love garlic. Hope yours does well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Toni, Glad to hear you have had agreat pumpkin harvest. It is my favourite vegetable. We find that they store remarkably well if you keep them whole in a dry place so perhaps you won't have to process all of them?
    It doesn't rain much here but the forecast for the summer ahead is for a wet one so we have our fingers crossed.
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete