Sunday, October 18, 2009

And now - the herding group.....

Welcome to the world of spinning, barking, and well, spinning!
I had a great golden retriever - Garrett. He was, if there is such a thing, a picture perfect dog. When he got older and bogged down with cancer, his 95lb frame was hard to tote around when he needed help.
So, since I like active dogs, and after much research, I decided on the Shetland Sheepdog. Small size but very active. I found a breeder and came home with my little package of joy - Finnegan. Actually, registered as Finnegan's Wake. Garrett was still around to help teach the little guy all things pertaining to manners and obedience. Finn learned well and has grown to be a handsome, obedient companion. Except for one thing - he's nuts! No, really! The dog is always on. I'd truly hate to be in his brain. No amount of exercise - both physical and mental tires him out. But, his saving grace is he is true to his breed and always there for you. Like under your feet there for you. Follow you into the bathroom there for you. Spin around the kitchen island unending amount of times while you bake there for you. Anyway, I think you get my drift. He's always looking for something to do, even if it is following you around.
I had heard that Shelties are like potato chips - you can't have just one. This is true. They are an addictive breed. In comes Northern Chesapeake Sheltie Rescue and our new addition, Shane, who we adopted at 10 years of age. Petrified of men, grossly overweight, and it didn't take much to get bitten. Oh what I have I gotten into! The challenge of bringing out this little dog's full potential, that's what. And work on it my husband and I did. After about a year, this little guy, now 11, was a new dog. No longer fearful or biting, he is the star of the party! He loves everyone and promptly lets you know he would love a hiny scratch! So, here's Shane the ruler. He lets the other dogs know who's boss.

Finn loves Shane, but lets face it - he can't keep the pace of the youngster. So, now I'm out and about looking for the next potato chip and along comes Fionnghuala. A blue merle female. The most absolute sweetest dog I have ever had the pleasure to know. She is shy and is slow to come around to folks other than her family, but, she gives Finn a run for his money! She's fast and can turn on a dime. In fact, there are times that we wonder if she doesn't have some border collie in her - low to the ground creeping, can cut on a pence and can come to a halt in a millasecond.
We're not sure what got over the fence with here but we're sure glad it did. A calm disposition and a faithful companion.
So needless to say, there isn't a day that doesn't go by without dog hair in something, barking at nothing, and gently nudges to go play. Sometimes we just hang out on the sofa and take a nap until a gentle paw touches me to say, hey, it's time for a walk. They are sometimes the biggest pain in the ass but at the same time the greatest joy. We are a pack. I'd be lost without them. I know many of you have your pack and feel the same way. Go spend some time with your pack. You'll be glad you did.



No comments:

Post a Comment