Thursday, May 19, 2011

Sheep and Wool Festival part 2.....

 Other things from the Festival


 Spinning demonstrations caught my fancy on my wanders through the fair.
Isn't this such a large wheel?

 I'm sure if I tried this it would come out as big clumps of yarn.  She made it look so easy!

 One of my favorite parts of the festival - herding demonstrations.

 This gent was so cool and collected.  He instructed the dogs with little chirps and whistles.  His body language was totally still.

 Bringing them through the gate.

 Working hard...

 That'a'boy - keep them in line...


A tired, dedicated herder.
I had to fight the urge to say "that'll do, pig".


I didn't come home with any sheep, but, I did score this gorgeous Lincoln sheepskin to snuggle in to read during the cool, winter season.
It smells of lanolin and lamb.
It's comforting and welcoming and I hope the little sheep that it came from knows this little ol' homesteading woman appreciates every woolly fiber.

5 comments:

  1. As I was reading your post I was also thinking of the movie 'Babe!' Sheep really are amazing to watch, and I've learned so much about them from the blogs that I follow--Such as I know I couldn't spin anything, and that lambs are just so precious!!

    I hope your week is going well Toni! I thought of you yesterday when I was in Brunswick! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen a herding show, but I can imagine it is wonderful. Skylar use to put on a great show with the horses. Age has slowed her down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pics were great- I kept saying Baaa Ram Ewe! to myself.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the pictures of the show. I especially liked the great wheel for spinning.What a fun outing! Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love sheep herding. I even watch them on television.

    ReplyDelete