Sunday, November 22, 2009

Gardens and such.....

This pic shows the start of the garden for the 2009 season. This photo was taken in May. Yes, May. We had a very cool, rainy spring. It was, all in all, a very odd gardening year. Well, at least for me. We had to wait for the ground to dry out enough to till and plant. If you look at the tippy top to the right of the tractor you will see the asparagus bed and a small strawberry bed. Typically by this time the strawberries are about to burst and the asparagus is at its peak. Even they lagged behind. I will say, once the asparagus started, it was very productive. The strawberries really didn't do as well as usual. Only enough for some fresh eating - not enough to make jam.


Here we are around mid-June. Everything has been planted, but, harvest time is long off. I didn't harvest broccoli until July. I have never, in all my gardening years, picked broccoli in summertime. I guess I should count my lucky stars that it stayed cool enough to pick.

In this photo (this does not show all of the garden) I have peas and pole beans on the teepees, then lettuce, carrots, onions (lots of onions), broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, two types of potato's, tomato's, two types of bush beans, and snow peas. Out of sight are the various squash plants and flowers. I always plant a couple of rows of flowers for the pollinators. Oh yeah, they're purty too!

Despite the weird climate for the 2009 season, the garden grew beautifully. Not quite as prolific as some years, but, the bounty fed us fresh all summer and allowed me to freeze and can some of it. I really can't complain. Well, I can but, who really listens?



So, here we are in the beginning of November with lots of luverly things left on the garden to slowly compost over the winter and enrich the soil. We have straw from the chickens, compost from the bins, and leaves. They will break down and be tilled in the spring.

This garden will now become the large bed for planting corn and viny things such as lopes and melons.




And this space will be the new garden area with raised bed, new composting system which hubby has already started to build, and the greenhouse. The apple tree stump will become a little table so I can take a rest with a cool refreshment as I toddle along in the gardens.

Granted, it has a long way to go. We need to get a permit for the greenhouse - it's only 8 x8 , but, that's the county code, fence off the area, and put all the beds in. I want to move the rain barrel to this location next to the greenhouse. Large dreams here. But, that's okay. Without dreams and hopes where would we be? Probably have a lot more change in the bank, but, what the hay!



Today the hubsters and I are off to a concert to see Cherish the Ladies. A total chill day. Maybe some wine and a little soak in the hot tub later. Yup, this day is looking as good as my garden and garden to be. Now go and enjoy yours!




No comments:

Post a Comment